Tuesday, February 22, 2005

iPod bling bling

I found an iPod shuffle at Best Buy last Friday. I guess their online inventory numbers are pretty accurate afterall. So I immediately cancelled my online order with the Apple store and set about trying to make it work with my Windows XP computer at work (during lunch naturally). Well I couldn't for the life of me make it work. And it wasn't just the iPod either because a friend of mine's USB flash drive didn't work either. I don't know if it was some conflict with another Windows service or if the machine was explicitly configured not to work with these devices but all I got was flashing amber lights.

After a disappointing first crack at it, I was delighted to see it work flawlessly with my PowerMac at home. Within a minute I was copying songs from iTunes to my iPod. Then I became Mr. Antisocial for the evening as I tried out my new toy. I've never messed around with any other MP3 player in the past. Perhaps if I'd used an iPod with the clickwheel and screen I'd be dissatisified with the simple interface of the shuffle, but I think Apple has a good design here. It's idiot proof. Turn it on, press play, mess with volume, skip songs and that's it. If you want to listen to music then it doesn't get much easier than this. I rather like the shuffle mode too. I have an eclectic music collection so going from Eminem to Guns 'N' Roses to the Beatles is actually pretty cool with me.

Now the only problem I have with this thing (other than connecting it to Windows XP) is how to carry it around. I tried the lanyard and although wearing it like this was no big deal (the shuffle is itty bitty and weighs next to nothing), I didn't like all the cords once I attached the headphones. It just felt messy. So then if I don't wear it around my neck where do I put it? Well I'm trying various pockets but I'm a bit afraid of snapping it in two. They need to come up some kind of clip or a combined lanyard/headphone. I dunno.. but something needs to be done.

Finally, the one-two punch of the iPod shuffle and iTunes shows just why Apple products fit people so well. I've used Macs for a number of years and I've heard Apple say that their ability to control hardware and software ("the entire widget") is one of their biggest competitive advantages. But I never really understood that statement until I bought the iPod shuffle. Apple's competitors in this space are hardware manufacturers that can only control half of the equation while Microsoft controls the other. So while MS and Bill Gates try to beat the drum of choice (choice of different hardware manufacturers using their proprietary software, Windows Media Player) I think consumers will continue to choose the vendor who gives them the best experience. Now that I've experienced a bit of this iPod phenonenon I'll hazard a guess and say that it will continue to be Apple.

No comments: