Thursday, December 01, 2005

Work's a drag

A few Pragmatic Programmer tips are:
  1. Provide Options, Don't Make Lame Excuses
    Instead of excuses, provide options. Don't say it can't be done; explain what can be done.
  2. Don't Live with Broken Windows
    Fix bad designs, wrong decisions, and poor code when you see them.
  3. Be a Catalyst for Change
    You can't force change on people. Instead, show them how the future might be and help them participate in creating it.
  4. Remember the Big Picture
    Don't get so engrossed in the details that you forget to check what's happening around you.
And I try to live by that... But with so many developers heading in different directions trying to prove how smart they are, I feel like I'm riding in an out-of-control freight car. The momentum is too huge to overcome by myself.

During some informal polling among other developers I get a pretty divere set of opinions. Some agree with me (but not on the same remedies), others are apathetic, and others feel that everything is just fine. So naturally I don't feel that comfortable pulling the handbrake. I just hope there isn't a sudden stop and a loud bang associated with this ride.

I guess there's a reason they call it "work".
Remarkable developers use remarkable technologies to do remarkable things.
[...]
If you don't have passion for software development you will not become a remarkable software developer, period.
- Chad Fowler

No comments: