Monday, December 12, 2005

Buying Mac Software

With the popularity of the iPod, the fortunes for the Mac have been looking brighter too and with that, more retailers are carrying Macs. In Calgary, BestBuy and London Drugs are recognizable chains that carry the Mac. So with that in mind, I went shopping for a game for my son for Christmas. Well it wasn't a terribly pleasant experience. While the shelves are loaded with software for Windows PCs, Mac software is far more difficult to come by. BestBuy was the worst. They had NOTHING. London Drugs faired a little better but only had a few titles like "Mac OS X Tiger". I went to these stores first because their locations are more convenient to my place of work.

But in the end I went to WestWorld Computers on Centre Street in Calgary and was greeted with a recently rennovated showroom. There was lots of hardware and software on display and some knowledgable salesmen walking around. I immediately found what I was looking for and made my purchase. My lesson? Forget the big box stores and go for the focussed reseller.

PS: iPods are very hot Christmas items. People were buying them at all three locations.

No comments: