Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Writing "Software"

I think part of being a good father is helping your kids understand what you do for a living. Well I write software but despite my best efforts to explain that to my six year old son he didn't quite get it. A couple of weeks ago he said something like "I can't believe someone pays Daddy for writing software". Of course my mother in law chimed in with "I can't believe it either". Nice. So I let that one go.

But yesterday, he said something like "I don't think I'd like writing software all day. I think I'd get bored." Then at supper I was trying to explain that it's not so bad and that I try to learn something new everyday to make it interesting. And he said "Well I guess you'd learn how to spell 'software'".... Wait a sec.... He thought I was writing the word "software" over and over again, like I was in some kind of permanent high school detention. LOL. From his perspective that's what writing is so it made sense (sorta). Well now I 'll have to try and sit him down and show him what I really meant. I don't think my mother-in-law would sit still for it. I'll save that conversation for another day.

No comments: