Thursday, May 26, 2005

Quicktime 7, H.264 and HDTV

Although H.264 was originally going to be one of those gotta-have-it features offered in the latest version of Mac OS X Tiger, Apple decided to give it away with Quicktime 7. Currently it's only available for Macs and not Windows ("Quicktime 7 for Windows Coming Soon") so you need a Mac to see it but it's worth checking out.

I still have an antenna in my attic for viewing over-the-air broadcasts (a.k.a., peasant-vision) so I'll be the first to admit that I'm a bit quality-picture challenged. But expectations aside, when I downloaded a couple of samples from Apple's HD Gallery I was very very impressed! The 1080p version of the Batman Begins trailer is just huge! My crappy VGA monitor can't even display that resolution (1920 x 816)!

So what's next from Apple? Well it's difficult (if not impossible) to predict. Apple was late to the whole MP3 thing when they introduced iTunes. They weren't the first with a portable hard drive based MP3 player, the iPod, and they weren't the first with an online music store either but look where they are now. They dominate. Microsoft has a Windows XP Media Center and both they and Sony with their next generation game boxes are vying for a spot in the living room. But Apple has the technology, the ingenuity and the ability to make products that resonate with consumers so I'd expect to see something from them that not only embraces the Mac and iLife (as digital hub) but goes beyond to make digital video simple and approachable to the masses.

[Update: I found this blog where the author goes into quite abit more depth. He sounds way more upbeat than me!]

No comments: