Wednesday, July 14, 2010

How Much of Apple's current problem is AT&T?

People have been bitching about dropped calls and reception issues with the iPhone forever.  Everyone who has an iPhone in the U.S. bitches about AT&T.  So now when the iPhone 4's quality is called into question, I'm guessing a lot of the AT&T hate is being inappropriately applied to Apple.  I'm not saying there isn't a problem with iPhone 4.  I actually have no idea, but I'd be willing to bet that the dog pile that's forming is at least partly due to AT&T.  How exactly would a consumer be able to tell the difference?  All they know is that they can't make a call.  Is it the carrier, the phone, or a bit of both?  The current bitch-o-rific bandwagon is to blame Apple so that's what everyone is doing.

Part of Apple's solution to this iPhone 4 debacle should be the end of the AT&T exclusivity in the U.S.  Of course it may become a little more difficult to convince another carrier to offer the iPhone if everyone thinks the product has a defect...  What a mess.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I thought about this exact thing. As a Calgarian who had Fido/Rogers for my iPhone and then moving to California and using AT&T for my iPhone I noticed an unacceptable amount of dropped calls. In any case I'm in no rush to get the iPhone 4 until I'm 100% assured it's working as it should.