Monday, February 27, 2006

Rails is Boring and Ruby is a Toy

Chad Fowler did a presentation last month that I happen to be listening to at the moment. He's talking about his "evolution" from a Java developer to a Ruby developer. He talks about the various XML files you have to edit when doing J2EE, the number of lines of code that's needed to do just the simplest things in Java, etc.

What I find so surprising is that some of my recent comments seem to be echoing his statements. Unlike him however I was already on the path to trying to simplify my Java development and Rails has simply dropped in a great big exclamation point. Web application development doesn't need to be the morass we suffer through in Java. Ruby can make it fun and Rails can make it so easy to do. Geez now I'm starting to sound like an evangelist too! Oh well I use a Mac too... maybe it's in my DNA...

No comments: