Monday, June 06, 2005

Mac on Intel

Well that one was a difficult rumour to believe. I've been pretty happy with my dual-processor 2GHz G5 since I bought it about 20 months ago. It's a well engineered machine with lots of memory headroom, a fast front-side bus, a decent graphics card, etc... and with Apple optimizing its OS for the past few years, things have even gotten faster than when I first bought my machine. So why switch?

Well apparently Jobs made the announcement that Apple will begin shipping Macs with Intel processors next year.

On the one hand I'm a bit disappointed that Apple will lose some of its distinctiveness. Will it just be a pretty box with the same guts as everyone else?

On the other hand, I'm happy that Apple will no longer have to try and prove that it's machines are as fast or faster than everybody else's. As long as it uses the latest and greatest from Intel, people can finally put that argument away (for the most part). Instead they'll have to focus on what counts, the user experience. That was my reason for buying Macs anyway.

Finally, as a developer, I'm very interested in being able to run Windows applications at full speed on a Mac once in awhile. Being able to do .NET development with MS tools if needed would give me the ultimate flexibility without sacrificing my ability to run the Mac OS and Mac applications for the majority of my computing needs... Maybe it's not such a bad thing... We'll just have to see how this whole thing works out.

No comments: